Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dick & Jane Purse

Just in time for Easter, I completed this super cute Dick & Jane purse. It incorporates fabric from the Dick & Jane collection (Michael Miller Fabrics, LLC). The patterns is "Amy Lou's" by "Totes by Sandy." I've featured this purse pattern before on this blog, you can see it here.

I made this purse with a specific someone in mind, and was able to give it to her this weekend. My mother-in-law, Susie, and I were browsing in a quilt shop one day. When she found this fabric, her face lit up. I learned that she has a special Dick & Jane book collection. Since I made all of her daughters a purse this winter, I thought she'd enjoy her very own. Using the Dick & Jane fabric just seemed natural, since she's already spotted it and has a special place in her heart for it. The Easter Bunny was good to Susie this weekend, and I'm looking forward to hearing her user-reviews!

I don't know why, but this large, red button just made it all come together.

On the opposite side I used three buttons to make "A, B, C." Want something even more entertaining? How about some new words? The top portion of the purse is gathered, which on word-printed fabric means some of the letters disappear. How do you like "Uk and ne." or "Se Dicknd Jar" Seems like a foreign language, huh? At least it keeps me entertained!

The inside of the purse is made with really white Dick & Jane fabric. I liked how it was taken from the books, but on the outside of the purse, it would have been too easy to get soiled. So, inside it went. The pockets are scrappy orange/blue that just make me think: whimsical.

No comments: