Thursday, February 25, 2010

Safari Purse - SDARL Donation

A few weeks ago, my husband traveled to South Africa as part of the South Dakota Ag and Rural Leadership (SDARL) program. He is a member of Class V, which consists of about 30 people, who are committed to agriculture and rural development. Each class gets to go on an international trip - for Class V, that was South Africa.

Unfortunately, it was a class members-only trip. While he was away, I went on my own safari to northern MN, and south-central Nebraska visiting family. It was in Grand Island, NE, (Material Girl) where my mother-in-law and I stumbled upon "Big Cats" fabric that embodied all of what hubby was probably seeing on his safari. I couldn't resist purchasing fabric, envisioning a wall-hanging, and a quilted purse as a donation to the SDARL group.

I could hardly contain my excitement over having found African-type fabric that I practically wrapped my husband in it the moment he got home. Naturally I decided it would be fantastic to donate something back to SDARL and decided a purse would be perfect. My local quilt shop owner, Linda, and I went hog-wild over "Amy Lou's Purse," pattern by "Totes By Sandy" which would showcase this special fabric so well.

It was a super purse pattern, and came together very quickly. I decided to go with a "boxy" bottom, per hubby's recommendation (and that I am going to stash two bottles of South African wine inside to help it stand up, and sell). What I fell in love with was the hand beading I did around the top - I call them "zebra" beads. Paired with a cute giraffe button on either side, I'm not sure I'll be able to give it away.

 
Here is one side of the purse (see, one lion)

And here's the other side (two lions!). What you can't see are the zebras, elephants and giraffes that are along the bottom of the bag.


Here's what the inside of the purse looks like - green safari grass and two sunny horizion pockets! A magnetic snap-closure helps the bag stay shut.

What a lovely purse. I can't wait to donate it to SDARL and meet the lucky lady who will become the new owner. That is, if my husband doesn't buy it back for me. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations to your husband on his trip. What an experience! I'm happy that you went on your own "quilting safari" and found my pattern. The fabric you picked really is perfect!! My son is going to Africa at the end of March with Dave Talbot the founder of Crutches 4 Africa. (www.crutches4africa.org) I would love to purchase some of the fabric to make the same purse for his wife. She would really love it. Thank you for making my bag!!
Sandy, www.totesbysandy.com

Michelle R said...

You so rock, girl! I would hate to have to fight your husband for this purse! Of course I know I could take him, but if I lost out to true love, would it really be losing???

amanda said...

Awesome job, Alaina!