Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'm allergic to cheap fabric

There are some who say quilters are "fabric snobs" because invariably in every quilting book and beginners quilting class they say - DO NOT USE CHEAP FABRIC - occasionally there's a "Wal-Mart" thrown in there as well. I haven't purchased fabric at a non-quilting store in a long, long time (a decade ago, maybe), but yesterday I was jolted back into the realization why I go out of my way to use high-quality quilting fabric.

I picked up a few of our church's prayer quilt kits that needed to be assembled. Right now they are working on the quilt tops. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great ministry. But I know where the fabric comes from. So, Monday morning I delicately dissected the black & yellow bundle and began to wade through the dis-sheveled directions and pieces of fabric. And I began working my way through the project.

Then my eyes began to water. And my nose began to drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. It continued dripping all through our quilt guild meeting last night, even through this morning's chores. The fabric had a funny smell to it when I pressed. And I'm not sure my sewing machine will ever forgive me - offering up a weak "chug, chug-chug" as it pounded it's way through the layers of fabric.

The good news is I finished that stinkin' project and dropped it off at the church. There's still another bundle to tackle, but I think I'll wait until next week. I probably need to get my heart aligned before I start that project. Maybe my then my machine will have forgiven me for running cheap (linty!) fabric through it!

No comments: