Friday, August 20, 2010

The Wager - and County Fair results

Mom, Becky, Dad and I congregated in the beef barn yesterday afternoon before heading up the hill to see how the quilt competition went. While waiting for Dad to stop talking, the girls came up with our "wager" for the 2010 competition.

The first wager was, whoever didn't do the best out of the three ladies, would receive 1 yard of fabric from the other two competitors. So, in essence, the LOSER would receive 2 yards of fabric.

The second wager was, whoever did the best - and this was calculated by percentage of quilts entered/placings (not very effective) - would have the ultimate TRUMP card on Show Day. Meaning, whatever they said could trump anyone else's complaint/comment/action. (I basically have this power anyways, but if I won, I'd have impunity from any other negative feedback!). Ha ha!

So, we speed-walked up the hill. The first quilt we saw was Mary Burt's Monster Quilt featuring applique technique - a blue ribbon! Whoo-hoo, mom! Then we found Becky's Quilt of Valor. No ribbon (Sorry Becks, we need to get you entered in a different class). Just below Becky's quilt hung my Buffalo wall-hanging project - which I entered in the Professional Category "Original Technique or Design" - 2nd place! Alright!! Then we spotted Mary Burt's Farmyard kids quilt - no ribbon. Bummer. Just a few quilts down was the Star Sampler I had made - 3rd place! It was hung very nicely, which made me feel better about myself.

I wanted to see what quilts placed ahead of me in the quilt competition. I found out that my Star Sampler quilt was third to the Best-In-Show quilt, pieced by a local quilt store owner in Deer River. I didn't feel bad placing third to that quilt! The second place quilt was a very extensively-pieced sampler of some sort - which was beautiful, too.

In the sewing competition - Mary Burt's clothespin dress was 2nd place. It beat out an identical project! My jacket won a Blue Ribbon (first place), as did my Safari Purse. Yahhoo! The second purse I entered was a "non-qualifier" since I didn't know you couldn't enter more than one project in the same class. Oh well.

Here's how the results stood:

Mom: Blue Ribbon - Monster Quilt; Red Ribbon - Clothespin Dress, No Placing - Barnyard Animals Quilt
Becky: No Placing - Quilt of Valor
Me: Red Ribbon - Buffalo Wall Hanging; White Ribbon - Star Sampler; Blue Ribbon - Swing Jacket; Blue Ribbon - Safari Purse; No Entry - Western Purse

So, Becky's getting two yards of fabric out of the deal. But she's also bringing Dairy Queen, McDonalds and Donuts for the next three days to the fair (as is tradition).

No comments: