Monday, August 16, 2010

One happy baby...

Yesterday, Aug. 15, I was able to give my very first baby quilt. It's to one of my college roommate who is due Sept. 4. I couldn't wait until September to deliver this uber-cute quilt, so I wrapped it up and gave it during the shower. I'm sure the mom, KP, can sympathize with not being able to wait. She and her hubby are very excited for the little "grape" to arrive! (And yes, they are having a baby girl.)

Here I am proudly displaying my work. The yellow is actually "snuggly" (similar to Minkee Mates, but with less stretch). The back is done entirely in the yellow snuggly!

I stumbled across this super cute, super easy pattern back in May during mother's day weekend. I was with my mom and best friend Becky Deutsch. We visited "Quilts Around the Corner" in Hibbing, MN, and fell in love with a pink-and-brown version of this quilt. Knowing several friends were going to have babies in the coming months, I couldn't resist.

The snuggly is cut in quarter-circles and appliqued on top of square blocks which provides excellent stabilization for the snuggly. The blocks are arranged in a winding road pattern. We chose yellow for this project because Becky said, "It promotes eye development."

Here is the mom-to-be, KP, taking the quilt out of the package. They're "ooohing" over the quilt label on the back, which is a photo of Becky, KP and I take in July after a serious heart-to-heart conversation (and dinner of Kabobs).


It's kind of hard to see the quilting from this angle, but it's done in hot pink thread and a "flutterbys" pattern. Cute butterfly patterns. The quilting isn't easy to see, but it gives great texture to the entire project. Becky and I rent time on long-arm machines at Quilt Yourself in Savage, MN. We're saving up to buy our own machine.
All I can say is, this baby is going to really happy having tummy-time on a quilt like this. If she can wrestle it away from her parents who are still "oohing" over the snuggly.

No comments: