Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pressing Problems...

I just finished volunteering my time with the Prayer Quilt ministry at my church. I had mixed feelings about going, but I went, and am glad I went. There's something magical about being surrounded by women working on a project. There's a steady hum of the sewing machines. The varied chatter of ladies pinning. And there I was, pressing.

Now let me tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed the iron I was working with. It was super heavy and gave off lots of steam. I like pressing. I think of my time ironing a time where my mind can wander. Many prayers are said while I press. So, I thought I had the perfect job before me.

That was until I saw the many different ways there were to create seams on these prayer quilt tops! Oh, my goodness! There were seams that were sewn "open," other sewn to one side, and then there were seams that were sewn in one direction and opposite on the other end! Goodness, what do you do with a quilt top like that? I did my best. I can't believe there were quilts being assembled without pressing (perhaps I came from a pressing-nazi camp...the more I think about that, the more I think that's true). So I did my best. And realized that I'm lucky to have been taught the importance of pressing while quilting. It's a small step that makes a huge difference as quilts come together.

Happy pressing!!

1 comment:

Freckle Face Runner said...

I hadn't realized the importance of pressing. I guess I always wondered how the seams came together so precisely....makes sense now. Now go let off a little Steam......get it? BOOO