Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Gift Alert: Antonsen Baby Quilt

Let's flash back to warm, sultry summer nights... Let's think: August.

In August I completed the Antonsen Baby Quilt.

2010 was a year of making baby quilts - which is something I normally do not do - since babies, well, poop, throw-up and generally drool over everything. Still... these were desperate times, and I consider these baby quilts a gift of love, more than a gift of necessity for a newborn.

And so the Antonsen Baby Quilt came about. It started with the Class V South Dakota Ag and Rural Leadership program class graduation back in February. Angie Antonsen, another SDARL wife, and I skipped out on afternoon sessions and went shopping in Chamberlain, SD. Who knew we'd find so many great things browsing Main Street? I learned Angie was a quilter... had a unique style... and over coffee learned she and Travis were expecting a child.

But not just any child. A miracle. Here's how the whole conversation came about...

Alaina: So, do you think you and Travis would like to have more children?
Angie: Well... actually...
*long pause*
Angie: Do you remember at the start of SDARL (18 months ago) we announced we were going to have a baby?
Alaina: Ah, yes... vaguely.
Angie: Well, we lost the baby. And we're hesitant to tell anyone we're pregnant now, in case we lose this baby... (Angie and Travis had two little boys already)...

Angie went on to explain that they have had miscarriages before (much to my surprise, and sadness!). With every son born, there had been a miscarriage. Miscarriage, pregnancy to term (Kaleb!); miscarriage, pregnancy to term (Kellen!); miscarriage, miscarriage (Announced at SDARL Class V introduction weekend), and then this pregancy.

Since it was still early, Angie asked me to keep the news quiet until they heard official (March 10). I tentatively asked if I could make Baby Antonsen a quilt - and she said "Sure!"

So on March 10, I sent Angie a quick text message: Thinking of you - any news?! And she replied right back: Yes - all is well - we're going to have a baby!

I only knew the baby was due in August. Having finished up the quilt early, I packed it away neatly and sent it with Eric to a SDARL summer alumni function. Then baby Kolton was born (the third boy!). I wasn't sure Eric had actually delivered my quilt, until I received this thank-you note from Angie and Travis:

Thank ya so much for the beautiful baby quilt, Alaina - you did a great job with it!! I love the pattern...
 My sister-in-law Mandy has also admired the pattern, and has put a request in for one just like it for Baby Burt #2 due in May... We'll see...!

The pattern is so simple, and created by my great friend Linda Louder at Ivy Lane Quilts (Elkton, SD). It's made entirely from a jelly roll, with an addition fabric inside the squares (I chose a soft flannel in neutral colors). The Jelly Roll is Moda's "Who Loves U?".


The back is made from remaining Jelly Roll strips (Jelly Rolls are 2.5-in. wide strips, about 40-42 inches long). This was the ultimate complete randomizer for me - I closed my eyes and grabbed strips to piece. This should make my friend Becky Deutsch very proud.


I'm very happy with how it turned out - and it's fun remembering back to this night when Becky was visiting me and we ended up at Quilts & Vines quilt show (see August post on a recap of that event). Looks like I was a 'smidge sunburned from it. :)

This pattern is a great idea for a new baby coming into anyone's life. Simple to put together, and stunningly classic (especially if you don't know if baby is a girl or a boy). My friend Becky quilted this for me in huge bugs (I think it was maybe 2 rows deep, 2 patterns across repeat).

No comments: